Choosing the Best RV or Motorhome for Your Trip
When you arrive in Alaska, you'll be given the keys to your new ride for the week (or however long you're staying in Alaska). But how can you ensure that your RV or Motorhome is everything you could want? Simple - be very specific when making reservations over the phone and confirm the plans in writing. The best RV for you might be the worst RV for someone else. Make sure that you get the Motorhome that you want. Which one is perfect for you and your family? Here are a few things to consider:
- Size: Bigger is not necessarily better. Remember, someone has to drive that thing! You should be comfortable driving the RV you choose, but make sure that you get one big enough for your whole family to fit comfortably. If you're ordering over the phone, ask the company if they have floor plans and pictures posted online. That way, you can get a sense as to how big the RV will be.
- Cost: There are dozens of RV and Motorhome rental agencies in Alaska, especially in the larger cities. Before springing for that huge rig with the fancy master bedroom, built-in DVD players, and navigational system, check out the prices. Set your budget for the RV before you look at your options and immediately take off the list any that go over that final price you've set.
- Ease to Drive: Remember, you'll be the one driving yourself and your family on your Alaskan adventure. Pick an RV that you can drive.
- Safety: Just as some cars are safer than others, some RVs have a higher safety rating than others. Do your research before you rent any motor vehicle.
- Availability: No matter how much you want a specific RV or Motorhome, it just might not be available when you want to vacation. Some rental companies have their best RVs rented out a year in advance or more. Check out their website, but be sure to call and check for availability before you set your heart on a specific RV.
Alaska is a huge state - traveling through every region and seeing all there is to see is impossible during a single vacation. Use our guide to choose where to travel by motorhome, what to do, and how long to plan for your stay in this great northern state. Who knows - you may love Alaska so much that you never leave!