North Alaska Activities
Northern Alaska is a beautiful frozen land, with a number of great activities and tourist sites to visit. Called the "Far North," this region is known for having amazing adventurous opportunities. Here are the best things to see and do in the Far North during your Alaskan RV vacation:
- Far North Cities: Alaska's Far North region is by far the most secluded. Popular cities to visit are Nome and Kotzebue. If you really want an adventure, head to Barrow, at the northern-most part of the state.
- Bird-watching: One of the most popular activities in the Nome area is bird-watching. The Nome Visitor's Center even has a "birding board" that is updated daily for those interested in the activity. Some of the best birds seen in a 20-mile radius include Emperor Geese, Steller's Eiders, Pacific Loons, Yellow-Billed Loons, Horned Puffins, and Harlequin Ducks.
- Pan for Gold: Alaska had its own gold rush, and today you can still pan for gold in the Far North. You can check out this opportunity in Nome as well.
- Arctic Circle Air Tours: Much of the rugged Far North cannot be reached by roads. You can, however, experience the Arctic Circle in a helicopter or bush plane. These trips leave from multiple Alaskan cities in the Far North and in the Interior.
- Nome Day Tours: For a very minimal fee, you can tour the Nome area and learn about local culture and history. One of the best tour companies in this area is Nome Discovery Tours, which has half-day and full-day excursions.